Old 29-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Warren

Default What Have I Got Here?

In summer 2003 I adjusted one of the edges of my lawn. There were a couple
of areas that were weeds and runners of ragged grass, and looked like crap,
so I took out about 3' feet of "lawn" in some places. Last spring I
pulled-off the bark mulch, and what scraps were left of the newspaper under
it, dug it up, and planted a bunch of Asiatic lilies in two of these new bed
areas.

In one area, the lilies came up, and that's all. In another area, around the
lilies came up this pale green, succulent-like, foliage. The leaves were
long, oval, and sort of daisy looking, but very pale, thick, and soft. It
was all very contained, and wasn't flowering, so I decided to let it go, and
see what would happen.

It survived the winter, which was pretty mild for the Portland area. Their
height was about the same as a drift of petunias, or other low-growing
plant. In the past month or so, they've more than tripled in height, and are
now around 4' tall. And they've started to bloom. Little white, five petal,
flat flowers, about an inch and a half across. Here are some pictures:

http://www.holzemville.com/whatisit

I've flipped through a few picture books looking for something like this,
but haven't found anything. I don't recall running across anything like this
in the local nurseries, either. I have no idea what they are. But I'm sure
once someone sees them, I'm going to feel real silly because it's probably
something pretty common.

So what is it?

Thanks.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html