Old 28-09-2002, 03:08 PM
David J Clarke

Default Removing Council Owned Trees?

| Word your letter to the Council very carefully about you 'charging them'
| to have your car cleaned every week/fortnight if they do not keep their
| tree under control

The onus will be on you to prove the council are in the wrong.

and from overhanging your land. Remind them that you
| are quite within the law to prune any overhanging branches

Dont be so sure. I think its called 'Topping and lopping' and requires permission from (surprise) the local authority to do it
(since the great storm, any broadleaf tree must be respected and nurtured. I think it has more rights than a refugee).

and return
| the Prunings to them, ie dump them in the road.

That will probably result in being done by the council as well.

Give them 7 days to do| it

Their work is planned/contracted out, 7 days is probably insufficient for this.

and add that you will accept no responsibility if the tree dies or is
| effected in any way by your lawful action if you do have to do it
| yourself. Have the letter delivered by recorded delivery.

Thin ice, all the way here I think.

| Copy the letter to the Council Ombudsman and the Citizens Advice Bureaux

....and be embarrased when they ask for evidence of following the protocols for complaints.

I think your logic is great, but flawed throughout. Sorry.