Old 29-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Miss Perspicacia Tick" contains these words:

Assuming you're in the SE of England, I'd guess the Rose Chafer,
which is a kind of scarab beetle.

Scarab - really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that (all) scarabs
were dung beetles.

Nope. There are over 19,000 species, mainly tropical, but there are
about 80 indiginous to Britain. Most of them live on roots or rotting
wood in the larval stage. (Cockchafer is a scarab)

The rose chafer larvae live in rotting wood or under decaying vegetation.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/