Old 29-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/29/05 7:34 AM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Supposedly there is/was work going on with a parasitic wasp
that preys on them in the Orient, but I have not heard
anything recently about it.

Yea, out at UMass. I think from the delay things aren't
going well. The fly they released in Hingham for the winter
moth larvae may work their way towards me fairly quickly,
I'm two towns over. But those damned
beetles.............grrrrrrrrr

want to rent my 4 YO? he's pretty good at making 'beetle
soup' (i give him a dish of soapy water to drop the beetles
in). i do feel for you. you've had to deal with them longer
than i have. took another year for them to get up here after
you first saw them.

My neighbor and I tried that; the beetles are easy, but the larvae just
can't be picked up easily!

perhaps the parasitic wasp doesn't handle cold well. the
beetles burrow from what i can tell (somewhat like the equally
annoying Oriental beetles... which the chickens love, but that
also is a detriment to the plants)
on a happier note, NH has put Norway Maple on the noxious
plant list. they will be completely banned by 2007
lee an excuse to get rid of that damned Norway maple! 20
acres of sugarbush & the previous owners planted Norway
maples. idiots!

And thank goodness for that!

Cheryl