Old 29-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
Brian wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
Kay writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.

What causes it?

It's a mutation - hence the ability to purchase seed of peloric strains
of foxgloves.

Damage to the meristem from any one of numerous agents can be the primary
cause. In some instances this has been shown to be able to be inherited.

This is all very interesting, and the plant itself is becoming more
interesting, too - I shall try and photograph it today. The original
sci-fi "head" has developed - but not into a single flower. The
"rosette" form *looked* like a slice through a wasps nest (if you
know what that's like!), a concave cup affair with "dead" arcs of
(?) showing. It looked most unlikely to flower, but now has - it's
a mass of light pink petals, like those of a dahlia, all coming out
mainly "forwards". The main stem looks normal enough, perhaps the
flowers are more closely spaced than normal - but there are several
more spikes developing, each with another funny looking thing on top!

I wonder, if I save some seed, whether any plants from it might be
the same?

As all the spikes are behaving the same it seems likely that it's
genetic rather than environment, and therefore there's a fair chance
that if you sow seed from the plant at least some of the seedlings will
show the same trait.

This is not the regular form of peloric foxglove, where the terminal
flower is single. It might be a form of fasciation, or a form of double
flower.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley