Old 29-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Steve

Reka wrote:

Phalguy schrieb:

hello everyone!

One of my patient gave me a bare root NOID Cattleya last night. The
plant comes from the montreal botanical garden and has 2 buds.

I planted it into S/H and I was wondering if I could put it outside
knowing that now the average temp is about 20 C durind Day and 12 to
15 C at night! If not, is under my fluorescent will be enough?
Also, is the morning sun will be ok! ( 08 to 11 )

Thanks

Claude

Claude, I would say that the temperatures are okay, supposing they will
get higher as summer progresses. IF the 12°C are minimum temps and not
average. Mine have been out for a while now and down to 9°C at night,
but I wouldn't feel safe letting them get any colder.
Anyone else have input?

Yeah, I do.
I think a Catt that is bare root AND has 2 buds on it is going to need a
little extra caution if those buds are going to progress to flowers.
(I'm assuming, Claude, that you really mean flower buds and not new
leads developing.)
I would leave it under the fluorescent lights until it blooms then move
it outside for the rest of the summer. If you didn't mean that it has
flower buds it still might be a good idea to keep it in for a while so
it can get established. Remember, I live just a couple of hours down the
road from you and we both know we are prone to some cool nights for a
while longer.
I will say that since you use semi-hydro I would worry a little less
about water stress and so, worry less about going from bare root to
outside in a short time. Also, it's just one plant so it's easy to just
bring it back in if we get some cold or windy weather. (I've almost
talked myself into telling you to leave it outside.) :-)

Steve (in the Adirondacks)