Old 29-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Paul

I was thinking of using a 30gal tall rubbermaid container and install a
chamber for brushes as first stage, then have it spill over to two more
stages. The second would be a medium course padding then it will trickle
down below to bio-media and exit back to pond. I should have mentioned a UV
light as the very first stage.Everything else mentioned follows in order.
Would this give enough filtration???? Thanks...............Paul
"Courageous" wrote in message

I don't get this. You see on the shelves in the stores these small boxes
that are capable of filtering a 1,000 gal. pond and people are telling me
have to build a 50 gal. filter to do the same job. I'm
confused................................

Err. Say what job you want to do, with what fish and plants, and so forth.

"Natural approach" is big around here. There's a thing called a "veggie
filter" which is basically a big tank filled up with the most invasive,
fastest growing water weeds one can find (it's no coincidence that many
of the preferred species are on the 100 Most Invasive Species list).

Anyway, the plants "eat" all the excess biomatter.

If you want to read a long history about all this, goto
http://groups.google.com,
click on Advanced Search, then put rec.ponds in the groups list, and type
"veggie filter".

For another alternative, goto regular google and type "bog filter" and
read the first page or two of relevant hits.

This one explains it pretty well, though:

http://www.pondsolutions.com/bog_filter.htm

The beauty of both the veggie and bog filter is that they are hidden;
they appear to be natural elements of the pond.

You don't need to buy any premade product at all, by the way. Plain
old PVC will do perfectly well. I think hacking up something like the
clean out vault picture will probably make you happy a few years from
now, though.

C//