Old 29-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Klara

In message , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
My daughter says she has black spots on her chili and aubergine
plants. Is this the same sort of thing as potato blight? What can she
do about it - preferably organically? (Being very allergic to
aubergines, I have no experience with growing them.)

thanks...

As you've no responses thus far, I thought I might hazard a guess.
Chillies are capsicums (capsica?) and, as you have correctly guessed,
aubergines belong to the same family as the potato (solarnum - commonly
known as the deadly nightshade family, which also includes the tomato).
Therefore, unless someone corrects me, I would assume that the blotches
do not share a common cause. Unless I'm corrected, I would treat the
aubergine as for potato blight (instructions from the RHS can be found
here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp). I do
not know anything about chillies so cannot advise here.
Warmest wishes,

Sarah

The above was written by an amateur gardener who has gleaned all her
knowledge from /Gardener's World/ and any suggestions, or advice,
contained therein should be checked with a reliable source before
implemetation and, even then, should be actioned at your own risk.

Thanks, Sarah,

I wonder whether in the case of just a few pots (she has now found
similar spots on a tomato plant) the answer this early in the summer is
to throw everything away, scrub the pots, and start over?

My poor daughter: has been longing to grow things while living in a
flat, now, at last, their first (if rented) house, first garden, whee!!!

....And then most things develop what looks like blight, everything else
is covered in greenfly...

:-{{{

--
Klara, Gatwick basin