Old 29-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

:: I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given
:: loving care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise
:: it's about as appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's
:: a weed.
::
Each to his own I suppose! - I like MM in cooked dishes, especially curries
and chillis....I've grown Shirley this year and they are a good all round
tom, cooking, salads sandwiches etc - I've never actually grown MM, but my
dad used to grow them on and off along with a few other varieties.

Try Romano (plum) tomatoes for cooking - they knock seven varieties of
spots off Moneymaker.

:: Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family)
:: is also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much
:: as the skins tend to be very tough.
::

I like a tomato with a bit of tang, hence my recommendation for partially
ripened ones with melted cheddar!

Shirley has a tang (and flavour) when ripe, as does Ailsa Craig.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/