Old 29-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
So, I'm leaning towards just cutting the posts off - mainly because
I don't think I can find the time to create a concealing system. I'm sure
given the time, I could create something more attractive and perhaps adding
some functions - such as adding electrical to the posts, low voltage
lighting, etc as well as the bird houses etc. If something pre-design and
pre-made was available I would probably go that way. By given the time
investment, I think I am going to cut the posts off.

Anyone with ideas, thoughts, comments, or done this?

I don't know your layout but IMHO, a post set in concrete is a solid
structural element that can provide you with a lot of options if you have
a table saw and a nearby lumber yard. One option is to build an overhead
horizontal trellis system. By using the existing posts, enclose them in
2xsomethings and shoot beams straight up 12 or 14 feet. Build a lattice
network using 1x2s and 1x1s. I buy 1x10s and rip them into size because
you end up with much straighter material and it's cheaper.

If you go up 12 feet your lattice can be up to 8 feet wide and as long as
you have poles. Hang the lattice 10 feet in the air centered and
attached to your posts. With the extra 2 feet of post height, use cables
to support the edge of the trellis 2 feet out in either direction, so
the cables are at a 45 degree angle, to hold the sides. A trellis
hanging this high in the air won't affect light to other plants and it
provides a goal for vines to climb to. Morning glories should have no
problem climbing that high but there are other aggressive vines you can
get at the plant store for variety.

Here are two pictures of the lattice structure I built this spring. I
only had one wall to use, and thus could only build one mast to hold up
the lattice. By using suspension you can build it out farther. I'm
pretty sure those concrete posts you have will hold a 12' high mast but
as always, consult your local structural engineer to be sure. :-)

View from the bottom:
http://www.brandylion.com/images/trellis-bottom.jpg

View from above the lattice:
http://www.brandylion.com/images/trellis-top.jpg

BTW: This trellis isn't completely finished yet.