Old 29-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Charlene Taylor

Default How thick a pole is okay for pole beans"

Hello,

I just put up a l2 foot tipi of four poles to grow pole beans. I've
grown bush beans for years, but never pole ones. Woodchucks have made
me give up on bush beans where I live now.

The poles are each 3 inches in diameter at their bases, and taper to
about two inches at the top. The poles are 4 feet apart at the bases.

Do I need to use twine/string attached to the tops or are these poles
thin enough for the beans to wrap themselves around the poles?

Dumb question, probably, but pole beans are all new to me.

Thank you for any help with this, and any other tips on growing pole
beans.

Charlene Taylor