Old 30-05-2005, 12:56 AM
STEPHEN PEEK

Go with the mushroom & till it in well.

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message
I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland, USA area, around 40° N. latitude. A nearby
garden shop is selling quantities of soils, 3 Cu. Yd's. minimum order.
Beside a variety of flowering plants my wife is interested in re-potting
(we do have a small quantity of potting soil), I'd like to grow some
tomatoes, maybe green peppers, not a large number, not sure what else. We
did have a mostly tomato garden years ago, now taken over for water
gardens and flowering plants. I just want to throw a raised soil (mix?) in
one sunny area to grow the tomatoes, peppers, whatever.

Question is what soils might be most useful - I can order them in
separated "batches", to be mixed or not as I chose. The soils available at
the shop are mushroom, compost (leaf), topsoil, and garden soil (I think
has some sand content)- pretty vague terms I know - order of the above is
cheapest to most expensive. Googling for tomatoes/soils has made my head
spin - sounds like any of the above would be OK depending on what I find
the soils acidity might be, since I know I need a slightly acid medium,
possibly with some handfuls of limestone thrown in. Any comments from you
folks would be appreciated.