Old 30-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Rick

Where do you get you water hyacinth and watercress. Do you have a link?

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sounds like string algae, long, flowing, has some strength:

Algae thrives on sun, too much fresh water, fish waste, fertilized run
off, rotting plants and blown in dirt. In new ponds and spring ponds
algae is always the first thing to start growing.
The best defense against algae is to have lots of plants to compete for
the nutrients, few fish, not overfeeding those fish, some shade and
cleaning up debris.

Filtering with plants works well. I run my water into a stock tank
topped with water hyacinth and down a waterfall planted with
watercress.

Some folks have tried sprinkling plain kitty litter on the string
algae, or koi clay.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com