Old 29-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Bob Hobden

"Tim W" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

A rotovator will break up the soil as long as it's not heavy clay and
compacted.

heavy compacted clay - that's what I have! and getting drier and harder by
the day. What's the procedure there, then?

Same as I'm doing with part of the allotment I didn't get round to digging
last winter, get the fork out and do it by hand a bit at a time. Then go
over it immediately with the rotovator to break up all the lumps, if you let
the lumps dry out they will be there 'till winter. In the meantime pray for
some rain to lubricate the soil and make sure your footwear has a solid
instep to cope with the force needed to push the fork in.

--
Regards
Bob