Old 30-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Joe

Jim Carlock wrote:

Just watched a show earlier today about tomatoes. So before I forget
what I watched...
1) Start tomatoes out in peat pots.
1a) Stick a bamboo support stick into the place for planting.
2) When the stems are about 9" high trim some of the lower stems off
the plant. They indicated that tomatoes have an ability to grow roots
off of any part of their stem.
3) Dig a 6" or 7" deep hole, the peat pots are only like 3" high.
4) Throw half a handful of lime into the hole.
5) Put the peat pot into the hole.
6) Start filling the hole with soil. An extra three or so inches of the
tomato will be buried so it'll stand maybe 6 to 7" out of the soil now.
7) Add a water line along the top of the soil which alows watering only
the roots and provides a slow constant supply of water. I don't know
what the line was called, perhaps someone else can help me out here.
It seems to provide a constant drip I imagine.
8) Add some composted soil to the top to cover the line and create a
small hill.
9) Add a wire cage around the top of the plant for it to grow up.
10) Water well the first day.

They mentioned a purpose for the lime, and they indicated that you
don't want the lime to come in direct contact with the roots, so it's
placed in first and covered with some soil, before putting the peat
pot into the hole.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

i believe they were talking about "dolomitic limestone" this provides
calcium for the maters so they don't suffer from blossom-end rot