Old 30-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Joe

Dan Wenz wrote:

I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland, USA area, around 40° N. latitude. A
nearby garden shop is selling quantities of soils, 3 Cu. Yd's. minimum
order. Beside a variety of flowering plants my wife is interested in
re-potting (we do have a small quantity of potting soil), I'd like to
grow some tomatoes, maybe green peppers, not a large number, not sure
what else. We did have a mostly tomato garden years ago, now taken over
for water gardens and flowering plants. I just want to throw a raised
soil (mix?) in one sunny area to grow the tomatoes, peppers, whatever.

Question is what soils might be most useful - I can order them in
separated "batches", to be mixed or not as I chose. The soils available
at the shop are mushroom, compost (leaf), topsoil, and garden soil (I
think has some sand content)- pretty vague terms I know - order of the
above is cheapest to most expensive. Googling for tomatoes/soils has
made my head spin - sounds like any of the above would be OK depending
on what I find the soils acidity might be, since I know I need a
slightly acid medium, possibly with some handfuls of limestone thrown
in. Any comments from you folks would be appreciated.

you could make this real simple and just plant the dern maters if you
make your first bit of gardening that much work then what's the point? do a
little research to keep it fun then just plant, grow then EAT!