Old 30-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Jenny

Default Unhappy Chionoides Rhododendron

We planted two of these last spring as part of our foundation planting
in an northwest facing area that gets about 4 hours of afternoon sun but
is otherwise shaded. They've fallen prey to all kinds of insects which
seem to just laugh off the systemic insecticide that the knowledgeable
lady at the garden center suggested. I think they have root weevils,
plus various caterpillars and other bugs. All the other plants we put
in at the same time are doing fine (a burkwood viburnum, pyramidal yews,
rosebud azaleas and Blaaw's Pink azaleas.)

My question is this: if I pull out theses miserable plants, what do I
have to do to the soil to make sure that replacements don't have the
same problems (root weevils in particular).

I'm thinking of putting in more pyramidal yews where these were.

Thanks for your ideas!

Also, any suggestions for