Old 30-05-2005, 04:54 PM
pammyT

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:07:00 +0100, "WRabbit"
wrote:

Experimenting with some patio veg this year, and planted the containers

up
yesterday. Obviously water's going to be vital, but as they're in
containers I'll need to feed regularly too.

I've planted:
Trough 1 - chile and pepper
Trough 2 - aubergine and mohican aubergine
Trough 3 - courgettes
Pot 1 - Cape gooseberry
Pot 2 - Tomato

I've got Tomorite and Phostrogen in my shed but wandered what to feed

what
and when. Naturally the tomato plant will get Tomorite - but would that

be
ok for everything, or should I use phostrogen for the others. Also when
should I start feeding them?

First time ever growing veg so this should be interesting!

I generally start liquid feeds once the plants set fruit.
Can't say which feed would be best as I tend to use a general purpose
organic feed which seems to work plenty fine for me.

Hope you have much success with your first foray into veg growing -
and as regards the courgettes, pick them small ( about 6" max ) for
maximum flavour. You'll get the most out of them that way - and you
stand less chance of coming up against 'Oh no, not bloody courgettes
again' syndrome by the middle of the season!

Luckily I have ex townies next to me who don't grow anything in their 1/3
acre garden,and I can earn serious brownie points by passing over any
surplus veggies and culled, plucked and dressed free range cockerels :0)