Old 31-05-2005, 01:52 AM
djay

"Pisces" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks alot I know the SAE I am just not used to the abreviations. I do
have
a chinese algae eater for years now, he keeps my tank clean. but I guess
when i add more light he may not be able to handle the increase algae.
Pisces

"Peter Demski" wrote in message
. ..

All of them are good algae eaters to keep your tank clean.
SAE: Siamese Algae eater(Crossocheilus siamensis)
Ottotocinclus

Check this webpage out near the bottom there is a section on algae eating
fish
with info on all of these that you might find helpful.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I have the Ottos but haven't tried the SAE's or amano's yet(going to
buy some tomorrow actually). BTW welcome to the planted tank
world!

Hope this helps out a little

Peter

"Pisces" wrote in message
news
What's the Amano Shrimp for? what are SAE,s and otto?
I am also trying to convert my 55gal tank to a planted tank. these are
very valuable information, but some of it goes by over my head.
thanks

"djay" wrote in message

"paul anderson" wrote in message
I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that i am trying to turn into a
planted
tank. I am curious what is the best yet affordable lighting syatem

that
i can use. And the same with Co2 and the kinds of fish I should
keepin
it. Right now it is my Chiclid tank.

For a 55 gal tank... You can build the canopy yourself and put 48"
fluorescent lights and a ballast pretty cheap. Google on "DIY
aquarium
Hoods" and you'll find a ton of ideas. With over 2 WPG you will need

consider pressurized CO2. Depending on how resourceful you are, you

can
get a system for under $100 (I paid $45 for mine). I use playsand as
substrate and it works great! I Fert with DIY mix and have lush

growth.

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do

well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert
with KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have a wide mix of community fish. My 26 Cardinal Tetras are my
favorite.

I've heard (never experienced) That CAEs get very agressive as they get
older. SAEs are very docile, IME.