Old 30-05-2005, 10:19 PM
~Roy~

Kitty litter is bentonite clay alright, but its sodium
bentonite..............not exactly what you want to put in a pond
unless it is a natural pond and has a seep your trying to stop. Why
would someone want top put a clumping sodium bentonite into a pond
with a filter....... You sound like those clowns on the home brew
foundry forum that goes to all extents to grind up kitty litter to use
a foundry sand. The larger granules is not whats needed like in kittly
kitter nor is sodium bentonite needed..............The word is
Southern Bentonite or CALCIUM Bentonite..............
Either of the bentonites can be anywhere from a plae tan or creme
color to a light grey color with sodium bentonite being more in the
gray tones than calcium, but I have seen it in a large array of
various colors as it depends on how and where at in the layers of it
while it was mined that it was obtained. I use sodium and calcium all
the time in my sideline business and kitty litter at Walmarts price is
high. Any foundry supply can sell you either or or a mix of both in
all kinds of percentages for well under 8 or 10 bucks for a 100 pouond
bag full. a;lready ground to your choice of mesh sizes from stuff as
fine as talcum powder to granulated...........You need to use the
right mesh size........as I would imagine it would be hard to dust koi
feed with kitty litter....duh!

On Mon, 30 May 2005 16:04:57 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

===
==="Wilmdale" wrote in message
=== I just purchaed a 25 lb. bag for $1.97 + tax, US. The bag is red, say
=== "Special Kitty" and the ingredient is 'ground clay'.
=== Think it is the same thing? It looks like a duch ... "
=== W. Dale
===I bought the same thing and it doesn't clog my filters or glob up. So it
===must be the right product. :-)