Old 28-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Mike

Default Removing Council Owned Trees?

In article , David J Clarke
writes

| Word your letter to the Council very carefully about you 'charging them'
| to have your car cleaned every week/fortnight if they do not keep their
| tree under control

The onus will be on you to prove the council are in the wrong.

Any letter written to the Council MUST be replied to in a set time so
they must respond to your complaint. 'That' opens a file on the case.

and from overhanging your land. Remind them that you
| are quite within the law to prune any overhanging branches

Dont be so sure. I think its called 'Topping and lopping' and requires
permission from (surprise) the local authority to do it
(since the great storm, any broadleaf tree must be respected and nurtured. I
think it has more rights than a refugee).

See above

and return
| the Prunings to them, ie dump them in the road.

That will probably result in being done by the council as well.

Give them 7 days to do| it

Their work is planned/contracted out, 7 days is probably insufficient for this.

The reply should come that they are talking to their contractors, or,
depending on the Council, they may send someone round to see within 48
hours.

and add that you will accept no responsibility if the tree dies or is
| effected in any way by your lawful action if you do have to do it
| yourself. Have the letter delivered by recorded delivery.

Thin ice, all the way here I think.

'You think' :-))

| Copy the letter to the Council Ombudsman and the Citizens Advice Bureaux

...and be embarrased when they ask for evidence of following the protocols for
complaints.

Copy the letter.

I think your logic is great, but flawed throughout. Sorry.

It has worked for me in the past, I can only suppose you have not had
the experience at chasing Councils and large organisations.

Mike

When the gates are all down and the signals are flashing
The whistle is screaming in vain,
If you stay on the tracks ignoring the facts
You can't blame the wreck on the train.