Old 31-05-2005, 10:54 AM
RichardS

"Henry" wrote in message ...

I've had a builders barrow for sometime and, unless they're driven over
broken glass or barbed wire regularly, I'd go for a pneumatic as they run
little more softly and are therefore "a nicer drive". FWIW, I've never
(touches wood rapidly) had a puncture and spare wheels are easy to come
by
anyway.

Perhaps someone else can buy a bicycle repair kit (just in case) and a
footpump as a secondary present. Mine likes a little extra air every
couple
of months.

Our builders barrow punctured just once at a very unhelpful moment, a
thorn from the shredded hedge clippings my wife had helpfully spread along
the path. I'm thinking of getting a tube of the prophylactic gloop that's
designed to go into bike tires to deal with holes as they happen. We also
have a solid wheeled garden barrow and the pneumatic tired barrow is much
nicer to push.

about 17 years ago (gulp!) when I was riding my old cycle to and from
university I was plagued by a series of punctures (probably picked up from
broken glass going through some of the less savoury parts of Manchester -
Moss Side and Hulme). I got hold of something called Tuffie Tape (IIRC) -
a very tough flexible tape that went between the tyre & the inner tube.
Never suffered a puncture after that on that bike. Didn't need it once I'd
upgraded to a mountain bike, but that's a different story.

Anyway, don't know whether this stuff is still available, or whether it is
possible to get it in the kind of width tat would be needed for a
wheelbarrow tyre, but it may be worth looking for.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk