Old 31-05-2005, 11:09 AM
VX

On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:01:27 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote
(in message ):

Any recommendations for the best compost type for garden plants

when
grown (outdoors) in containers?

I'm for the loam type. They don't hold as much water as peat or
compost-based ones, but they're easier to wet, which more than makes
up for it. They have a few trace elements which the others lack; but
still need to have regular feeds of liquid manure or the stuff out of
a packet.

If you've got some nice topsoil, it'll probably be fine; but it's
very very variable. I'd tend to mix it with some peat or compost for
water-retention. Guesswork has always served me well enough, but I
suppose one peaty stuff to two of topsoil would be near enough for
jazz. If you've got any grit, sling in a bit of that, too: maybe half
as much as the peat. If the soil's got a lot of grit in it already,
let's say three soil to one peat. This barbaric approximation isn't
at all unlike John Innes mixture. Do it your own way: the plants
won't mind. You can get fussy when you've built up some more
experience and feel ready to take on some more ticklish plants.

Thanks for that, topsoil or loamy-type it is then. Guesswork is a valuable
thing when it works, I need to do that more. I'm also ordering a couple of
books on container gardening, just so I have some reference material. As I
type this I feel a sudden growing fascination with container gardening-
oooops.....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)