Old 31-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Tumbleweed

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
There are a few trees, mostly ash trees, growing right next to the fence
in a
neighbour's garden. The ash trees are not old- about 20 feet high and
apparently seeded in the wrong place and allowed to grow there. Only when
tried to dig a hole to plant a rose (in my garden) did I realise the
extent
of the problem- those roots are seriously invading my garden! My
neoighbour
does not want to remove these tress and says she loves them. This could
well
be true.

I need to dig down next to the fence and cut them off and then install
some
sort of barier to prevent further incursions. it is not a well-maintaned
garden next door and there are brambles and bindweed that I also want to
block off.

As it is I think I'll dig down to the clay (not more than about a foot
down)
making a trench along my side of the fence and put some heavy duty black
polythene in there as a barrier, probably folded double. Right next to the
trees I might also insert some leftover laminate flooring planks as they
are
mostly synthetic (a veneer of real wood, the rest is fibreglass or
similar)
and will be impermeable to roots- just as an extra safeguard- the
polythene
could be enough but I might as well be sure.

Any feedback on this- is there anything I've forgotten or not considered
or
any warnings of how this can all go horribly wrong?

dont underestimate the ability of roots to work their way through a barrier.
Make it twice as impermeable as you think it ought to be :-) I have roots
from a silver birch coming 20ft or so into my garden.

The only thing I can think of is that if I cut off 40% of a tree's roots
on
one side it could possibly die, or without those roots to anchor it on
that
side it could get blown over- luckily not in my direction though! And
maybe I
should paint the cut-off root surfaces with somethng to seal them.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

You are right it could possibly die. Have no idea what the legal
implications would be if that happened. I doubt painting the root ends would
work there would be far too many to be practical its not like cutting off
one branch.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com