Old 31-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Emrys Davies

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
There are a few trees, mostly ash trees, growing right next to the

fence in a
neighbour's garden. The ash trees are not old- about 20 feet high and
apparently seeded in the wrong place and allowed to grow there. Only

when I
tried to dig a hole to plant a rose (in my garden) did I realise the

extent
of the problem- those roots are seriously invading my garden! My

neoighbour
does not want to remove these tress and says she loves them. This

could well
be true.

I need to dig down next to the fence and cut them off and then install

some
sort of barier to prevent further incursions. it is not a

well-maintaned
garden next door and there are brambles and bindweed that I also want

block off.

As it is I think I'll dig down to the clay (not more than about a foot

down)
making a trench along my side of the fence and put some heavy duty

black
polythene in there as a barrier, probably folded double. Right next to

the
trees I might also insert some leftover laminate flooring planks as

they are
mostly synthetic (a veneer of real wood, the rest is fibreglass or

similar)
and will be impermeable to roots- just as an extra safeguard- the

polythene
could be enough but I might as well be sure.

Any feedback on this- is there anything I've forgotten or not

considered or
any warnings of how this can all go horribly wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that if I cut off 40% of a tree's

roots on
one side it could possibly die, or without those roots to anchor it on

that
side it could get blown over- luckily not in my direction though! And

maybe I
should paint the cut-off root surfaces with somethng to seal them.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email

This site should help you solve your problem:

http://tinyurl.com/bts4g

More of the same:

http://www.hastingsdc.govt.nz/planning/trees.htm

Regards,