Old 31-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Maggie writes:

| Anyway, I want to get rid of the invasive agapanthus that lines the path
| (have started that... hard work!), clear the "lawn" (now 2 foot high
| with weeds aplenty) by strimming and mowing, throw on a bit of Roundup
| to kill off the weeds, then prepare the (clay) soil for planting (bit of
| digging and addition of compost?). ...

What you need for the Agapanthus is a grub-axe (pick-mattock, or
whatever). Like a pickaxe, but with one blade 4" wide at right
angled to the handle. It will cut through the roots easily, and
Agapanthus will not regrow from them as I understand it.

The critical thing for clay is to loosen it as deeply as you
have the strength for. Compost or (coarse) sand are useful, but
less important.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.