Old 31-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Victoria Clare

VX wrote in
s.com:

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:33:00 +0100, Victoria Clare wrote
(in message . 23):

much valuable stuff snipped

This is one good reason I have found to have a wormery for kichen
waste - I can then use the worm debris to make really good peat-free
potting compost with no weed seeds in it, and the worm wee to water
and feed pots that might otherwise be struggling because the bought
potting compost in them is a bit light on nutrients.

Victoria

Thanks for the compost explanation- now I think I actually understand
what's going on!

I've been thinking about getting a wormery- it just seems like such a
clever idea. Is there any particular commercially available wormery
that would be a recommended buy, or are they generally similar?

The general feeling of many posters in this newsgroup is usually that
bought wormeries are expensive and unnecessary.

However, I like my bought wormery, as it is dead easy to manage and
empty, and I am both too lazy to build one, and too inept to build a
really solid one. ;-)

I would suggest going for the sort that has several trays and a
reservoir at the bottom - I haven't tried the sort that is just one big
bin with a tap on it, but I understand they are a bit more difficult to
keep from waterlogging, by all accounts.

It's a good idea to add a sheet or two of damp newspaper from time to
time, particularly if you are putting in a lot of soft stuff, or to
quell an outbreak of horrid little flies.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall