Old 31-05-2005, 05:51 PM
VX

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:56:14 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote
(in message ):

There's a bit of advice from the RHS at:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ding_fruit.asp
and no doubt in other places too. What caught my attention was their
warning against using glyphosate in summer around some fruit trees: I
don't understand why. (It's obvious why one mustn't use it around
cane fruits; but apples and pears??)

Thanks for the url. I did a search on the RHS site on 'weeds" -there seems to
be a fair amount of information and there is a section on bindweed here

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0801/bindweed.asp

in which it says:

Glyphosate is a non-selective total weedkiller... ...It is usually more
effective when the weed has reached the flowering stage but can be effective
well into the autumn. Early spring applications are generally less
successful. Spraying in the early evening is more effective than spraying
during the day. Where the weed has started to twine into plants it is
possible to carefully untwine the stems and lay them on bare ground before
spraying the foliage.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)