Old 01-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Don

Rob wrote:
Thanks Rob!

Glad you like it. For the record, there is a new version of 'Mud' on
the block now, using Scotts 360 MetroMix as the base. That has some
percentage of coconut coir in addition to peat. Supposedly, it doesn't
expand or contract in the pot. Which is a big plus.

Dick Wells (Hilltop Orchids) uses the same mix for everything,
cattleyas, phrags, paphs, phals... He is the one who gave me the new
recipe, and I know he grows good phals. Don't know that I would try it
on cattleyas, but I'm doing some experiments with paphs and phrags. So
far, I can't really tell. But it has only been a month or so for that
experiment. The phals love it.

I don't have the actual recipe handy, but I used ~3 parts metro mix, 1
part perlite, 1 part small charcoal. I tinker with that until it looks
right. Dick adds in some seedling bark. I'm not so convinced about the
seedling bark, I've never liked bark in peat mixes. I think you could
substitute straight coco peat for the metro mix, but you would have to
add more perlite (metro mix has some additions).

I've moved all my phals (like I care about phals.. *grin*) into the new
mud. The major benefit is that even the 12 year old neighbor kid with
no orchid experience was able to repot the plants easily. He hasn't
quite learned how to use my other mixes (coconut chip or bark based) yet.

I can make some 'hobby bags' of my mud mix, if you are interested.
E-mail me. It is easy to make, but sometimes it is hard to find the
metro-mix.

Rob

The phals have been doing far better in the mud. The cattleyas in mud
seem better in clay pots than plastic. The dendrobium, brassia,
miltonia, etc. have been doing well but not as out standing as the
phals. I haven't tried any paphs, vandas or phrags.
The last batch I mixed used pro mix as the base with perlite, sharp
sand, a little vermiculite all blended so that a hand full of wet mud
will not pack when pressed into a ball. The sharp sand is screened to
remove all the small, fine stuff. The next batch I will try a little
coconut coir.
This stuff has been working well for my small potted trees as well.
Thanks Rob for opening my eyes to a new way of thinking about growing
orchids. I had always used the old tried and true media, everything
grew ok. It has been fun testing something new and seeing the changes.
All the best
Don