Old 31-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Henry

Wingnut wrote:
Hey newbee here...I have some very odd green bugs on my roses and I am
not sure what they are. Anyone have an idea?

Well, "very odd green bugs" isn't a lot to go on. Any chance you can
either take a picture and post it somewhere or at least give a bit more
detail? For instance, how big are they? 2-3mm or 20-25mm? Do they
seem to have wings? Where on the plant are they?

In any case, the most likely thing is aphids. There are thousands of
species, of which about 250 are serious pests and they vary in color
from green to black to pink. The adults have wings but they are
sometimes hard to see.

Control ranges from biological - lady beetles (many species in the
Coccinellidae family) and the larvae of Green Lacewings (Chrysoperla
rufilabris) both eat aphids. Lacewing larvae are really voracious. You
can also spray with insecticidal soap or go the chemical insecticide
route. Sevin is effective. I usually just squish them. Kind of gross
but also fairly satisfying. How green you are is up to you.

See:
http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/84aphids.htm

--
Henry