Old 31-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:50:36 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Thanks Rodger, it did. I hadn't heard of homeria collina ...checked
google images, mmmmm...looked up cultivation and found explanation by
yourself on pbs...then, eek, next website I looked at was

www.biosecurity.govt.nz/ pests-diseases/plants/cape-tulip/ which gave
me the following glad tidings

"This toxic native of South Africa has been most commonly found in
Canterbury, though it occurs elsewhere in the South and North Islands,
often in urban areas.

It's slightly tender and when we have a good stiff arctic cold snap,
as happens every so many years, they are either killed outright or set
back pretty badly.

Such cold snaps suffice to make Homeria collina unsuitable for
long-term planting: it has to be renewed every few years.

Was aware that Australia has it on their no-grow list, and NZ's
reaction is equally understandable.

Didn't know it was toxic, though, which, combined with its prolific
growth in the Antipodes, makes its presence on ng lists perfectly
sane.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada