Old 29-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Alan Gould

Default spring onions

In article RLBl9.348$aK.82141@newsfep2-gui, miklol
writes
Are spring onions just ordinary onions picked early or a different type ?
Either way,how do I go about planting some , andwhen please ?

Two meanings here.

'Spring' onions are normally mean small salad onions grown at any time
of the year from 'White Lisbon' or similar seed. Their green tops are
very tasty and useable at the earlier stages of development, and their
bulbs are very good though small keepers. We always keep a tray or two
of those on the go.

Spring cropping onions can be grown from Japanese or other autumn sown
sets developed especially for that purpose. They do come a little
earlier than sets sown in Feb./March under cover, but we concluded that
the ten or so days advantage was not worth the hassle of taking them all
through the winter. Maybe an advantage to commercial growers wishing to
catch a high price, but IOHO a 'no-no' in the kitchen garden.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.