Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Miss Perspicacia Tick writes
Garden puss wrote:
I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple
of inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise.

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

I would say earwig, but then I would have thought that anyone would have
been able to recognise an earwig.

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

A leather-jacket is a daddy long-legs grub, and IME always a dull,
matt muddy colour - be it an earwig? Don't think so! So, a chrysalis,
stick it in a jam-jar as in days of yore & wait & see...