Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Doug Kanter said:

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways
to lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I'ved had some luck with fresh lettuce leaves sprinkled with vanilla
extract. Romaine lettuce leaves work best (mostly due to shape), set
in a small yogurt cup filled with water.

I remember reading an article by a scientist who studied cottontails
and had to live-trap them regularly. IIRC, he claimed that the best lure
was to have had another cottontail urinate in the trap!

If you are trying to protect ornamental plants, I recommend Ropel.

For vegetable gardens, a fence.

This company's advice and products have been useful to me in the past,
and this is their page on rabbits:

http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/rabbits.html

(attributed to Don Marti)