Old 30-09-2002, 02:41 AM
Alison

Default spring onions

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article RLBl9.348$aK.82141@newsfep2-gui, miklol
writes
Are spring onions just ordinary onions picked early or a different type ?
Either way,how do I go about planting some , andwhen please ?

Spring cropping onions can be grown from Japanese or other autumn sown
sets developed especially for that purpose. They do come a little
earlier than sets sown in Feb./March under cover, but we concluded that
the ten or so days advantage was not worth the hassle of taking them all
through the winter. Maybe an advantage to commercial growers wishing to
catch a high price, but IOHO a 'no-no' in the kitchen garden.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.

Oh I'm sad to hear this as my little winter sets have just arrived - trying
them for the first time. Are they difficult to get through the winter then?
Do they need special care, cloches, fleece etc? I'd kinda hoped they'd be
like the spring planting ones - bung 'em in and wait.

--A