Old 01-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sue Begg wrote:
In message , pammyT
writes
--"Tim Guy" wrote in message

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

Buy them a garden trolley instead. It will make their life so much easier.
I got mine for a lot less than this locally.
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ley_Carts.html

How about the electric wheelbarrow I saw in B&Q last week. Sorry I
didn't really take in much detail about it but I think it was about £150

I strongly advise against both of those. Trolleys need a LOT more
space, and electric wheelbarrows are a gimmick much like a Sinclair
C5. In both cases, they might be appropriate for smallholdings,
or the occasional garden with a lot of open space and not too many
plants, but not otherwise.

The best maker of metal wheelbarrows I know of is Haemmerlin, and
they last for decades. Buy an inner tube for it at the same time
(seriously). I prefer heavy-duty plastic ones (the cheap lightweight
ones are hopeless), but they are tricky to get. Buy an inner for
one of them, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.