Old 01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Victoria Clare

Chris Bacon wrote in :

Victoria Clare wrote:

Some of our border is raised on Cornish
banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
rocks.

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.

1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
decline of the market gardening industry.

The proximity of a major railway line, a port, a tourist area and 2 main
roads means that the vast majority of the population has lived here for
less than a generation, and the linguistic pool is a bit contaminated to
say the least. None of my neighbours have been here longer than 13 years.

Attempts at local dialect sound a bit daft in such an environment.

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?