Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Chris Bacon

Victoria Clare wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Victoria Clare wrote:
Some of our border is raised on Cornish
banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
rocks.

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.

1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

A Cornish Hedge is a "wall" of stone and soil - whether there's a hedge,
trees or whatever on top!

2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
decline of the market gardening industry.

I wonder very roughly where in Cornwall you are... Penzance?

The proximity of a major railway line, a port, a tourist area and 2 main
roads means that the vast majority of the population has lived here for
less than a generation, and the linguistic pool is a bit contaminated to
say the least. None of my neighbours have been here longer than 13 years.

Cornwall is greying. I wouldn't say it's to do with the demise of
industry so much as the incoming of furriners with money who can
pay the price for property - and displace "natives". I shouldn't
think that there will be noticable dialect anywhere in - say -
30 years (unless it's from Brimingham or Lunnon).

Attempts at local dialect sound a bit daft in such an environment.

Sure do, more indeed to those who still speak with an accent. North
Cornwall is possibly the last bastion, and few under 30 years old
there...

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Maybe they picked it up from Cornwall.