Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:29:49 +0100, "pammyT" fenlandfowl
@talktalk.net wrote:

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

Your description exactly describes a chrysalis. The conker brown, the
rounded end and the pointed end and the wiggling about which suggests
it is almost ready to emerge, probably as some sort of moth rather han
butterfly, though I cannot say which. Do you still have it? Someone
else has suggested putting it in a jar and waiting to see what
emerges. Then release it immediately.
No way have you described an earwig or a leatherjacket.

Pam in Bristol