Old 01-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Sue Begg

In message , pammyT
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
I strongly advise against both of those. Trolleys need a LOT more
space,

you must be thinking of different trolleys to the one I have which when
takes up no more space than a builders barrow and if you need to it can be
easily stood on end, in which case it will take up less space than a barrow.

and electric wheelbarrows are a gimmick much like a Sinclair
C5. In both cases, they might be appropriate for smallholdings,
or the occasional garden with a lot of open space and not too many
plants, but not otherwise.

Some of us do have large gardens and painful conditions which means that
anything which helps us to carry on gardening without hurting or straining
ourselves is good.

The best maker of metal wheelbarrows I know of is Haemmerlin, and
they last for decades. Buy an inner tube for it at the same time
(seriously). I prefer heavy-duty plastic ones (the cheap lightweight
ones are hopeless), but they are tricky to get. Buy an inner for
one of them, too.

But only if the user is tall and strong. For small women it often means that
the legs do not come off the ground when the handles are grasped and when
laden, the effort of lifting and pushing at the same is simply too hard.
To use a barrow, I (5' 2") have to grasp the handles, bend my elbows to
raise the legs off the ground, and then with elbows bent, push the thing too
making the job in hand most unpleasant. I love my garden cart/trolley and
consider it to be money well spent.

I now have a plastic barrow which is lighter to push, but I still have
the problem of my arms not being high enough above the ground lol.
It does put an undue strain on the upper arm having to hold the barrow
up whilst pushing. And then the jolt when it catches on a bump on the
ground because the legs are only just clearing the ground. But if you
buy a 'ladies' barrow it only holds a teaspoonful - I know I am never
happy !!
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!