Old 01-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Not sure if I did thing right or wrong. A couple years ago, I tried to
compost thatch. But after one year of having thatch sitting in a
compost pile that I only turn every two weeks or less (and not enough
water), I found that the thatch was not decomposed at all while the
other things like leaves had decomposed. Consequently, I had to remove
all the thatch from the compost piles (to make room for other stuff).
Now, I am selective with what I put into the compost piles -- no
thatch, no tree branches, no bamboo sticks ... no hard to rot stuff.

I am not saying that you cannot compost thatch. But you may not get the
intended result given the amount of effort that you are willing to put
in, or you may need to intensively turn and water the compost piles.

Jay Chan

bill wrote:
Rented a power rake yesterday - unbelievable how much thatch was down there.

Is thatch good for composting?

And, in mixing brown & green: on which side would you count thatch?

Thanks,
Bill