Old 29-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Mary Fisher

Default spring onions

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Oh I'm sad to hear this as my little winter sets have just arrived -

trying
them for the first time. Are they difficult to get through the winter

then?
Do they need special care, cloches, fleece etc? I'd kinda hoped they'd

be
like the spring planting ones - bung 'em in and wait.

--A

Bung 'em in and wait. That's all I did last year. I put them in a little
deeper than normal - with the tip just showing above ground level. Only
"special care" was to throw a net over them initially to stop the birds
pulling them up. The net was removed after the green shoots appeared and
started to poke through the net. Well worth growing :-)

I don't know what I'm doing either. Last week I planted some Electric sets
and covred them with fleece, well pegged down.

Not to protect them against garden birds but to stop them being scratched up
by our hens! So far so good.

Mary

Drakanthus.