Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Ros Butt

(snip
Has anybody used one of those 'build-a-ball' kits, which link bamboo canes
or tubing together. I was thinking of buying one to make a small frame to
cover in netting when I plant out my broccoli - until the 'cabbage whites'
have gone.

(snip)
TBH I can't imagine anyone bothering to go to such trouble.

The reason I "went to so much trouble" is because the year before, I
completely lost all my broccoli, which didn't recover - thanks to the
caterpillars

whites lay their eggs in patches on the underside of leaves ,during a
fairly short summer period. I just keep an eye out for the egg patches,
or if I miss one, the newly hatched caterpillars which are still close
together, and tear off that section of leaf.

If I had torn off that section of leaf, there would have been no leaves
left. Maybe we have more butterflies around here!

Ros

Chichester
West Sussex, UK.