Old 01-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Mike Lyle

martin wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:47:36 +0100, Judith Lea
wrote:

In article , Janet
Baraclough writes
I've yet to see any of those
small females have any problem lifting or pushing a fully laden
Haemmerlin barrow, up or downhill, up plank ramps etc.

Well Janet, you haven't seen me huffing and puffing in my gold
slippers with a wheelbarrow. I am 5ft tall and I have an awful

job
lifting them as my little arms, draped very comfortably in haute
couture du jardin, ache dreadfully at the elbow - however it is a
very convenient ache, it only comes on when my husband is around!
When he is not there, I have no problem with the barrow so I agree
even little women can hoist a barrow with the best of them.

Do your knuckles scrape on the ground when you walk? Thought not.

This is one of the many "different strokes for different blokes"
questions in gardening. Of course the factors aren't the same for
everybody, but I'm for plain old wheelbarrows, myself. Nick's point
about their ability to negotiate narrow gaps is well taken; and I'd
add that they go up and down steps, too (with such huffing and
puffing as may be necessary). It seems to me that four-wheel trolleys
will be no good unless the garden has really good firm paths and
lawns going everywhere, and no sharp bends. My guess is that in most
gardens with both a trolley and a wheelbarrow, it's the barrow which
will be used most often. You can also mix small quantities of
concrete or potting mixture in a barrow next to the materials, and
then use it to deliver the mix where it's needed.

(No Skoda jokes, please: mine has a sunroof, yes, but only one
exhaust.)

--
Mike.