Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 PM
pammyT

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Oh, come off it, that's nonsense. I'm under 5ft 2. Standing straight
with my arms fully extended downwards, my longest finger tips just touch
the ends of the handles on my builders barrow. (I've just checked). So
when I grasp the handles in my palms and lift, the barrow legs rise up
at least 4", with my arms fully extended, elbows straight. I do NOT have
to bend my elbows to get the barrow legs off the ground or to push it
along.

How bloody arrogant. I can *assure* you that my barrow does in fact scrape
the ground when I lift as I should with straight back and arms.Do you
imagine that all barrows are the same? I have bought 2 different ones in the
past years and the only way I can lift the legg off the ground is to grab
the handles, straighten my back, then bend my elbows. If you read some other
posts, the problem is not unique to me either.

(Gardeners should be using their *knees* to lift a laden barrow
btw, not the elbows as you suggest)
But if you are so short that the damn thing is still on the ground whith

back and knees straight, how *else* does one push it?

Well, I have a large garden and RA, happily use a metal builders
barrow at home, and Haemmerlin barrows at the huge NT garden where I
work as a volunteer along with similar-height female gardeners and
female volunteers, aged from 27 to 75. I've yet to see any of those
small females have any problem lifting or pushing a fully laden
Haemmerlin barrow, up or downhill, up plank ramps etc.

Ahh so because *you* have never seen anyone struggle with the particular
barrows you use, you assume that nobody has a problem with barrows and I and
the other short poster are making it all up?
In addition to my being short, I also have a spinal condition and
arthritis. Pushing barrows is difficult and painful. The garden trolley is
simple to use and easy to manouver. Sure you would struggle to squeeze
between a 12" gap but since I don't have 12" gaps, and nor does anyone I
know this is not something I have to worry about.
I find I can shift most stuff using my garden trolley and sack barrow
without hurting myself.