Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Spider

Steve Newport wrote in message
Thanks for all your comments. Most interesting.

Did realise the old elderberry tree was so hardy and tenacious. I have
a couple of trees on farms sites where I have bees, but wanted one in
the garden where I could cultivate my own specifically for poducing
jelly and wine.

Do the two cultivated varieties produces good crops of edible fruit?

Thanks very much
Steve Newport

Hi Steve,

I get a reasonable amount of fruit on my Sambucus nigra variegata. I prune
mine to keep it within bounds, but if you've got room to let yours spread,
you'll obviously get more flowers and fruit - give or take the odd beak!

I also grow one of the cut-leaf golden foliage forms. The cultivar has
'Sutherland' in the title. (Sorry, that's the best I can remember). It's a
pretty decorative form, but not so reliable for berries, in my experience.

Spider