Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Crag gansburg-dot-01-at-zen-dot-co-dot-uk wrote:
Evening all,

I've moved into a house that's got a nice, neat, well maintained conifer
hedge at the front of the garden (approx 6ft high). Now I gather that the
area underneath these trees is usually a no go area for other plants, but
is there anything I can plant under them that will grow up through and
provide such much needed colour and flowers?

Cyclamen coum and hederifolium (or whatever it is). They thrive in
rain shadows, and have lovely foliage and flowers, but are very low.
They will establish themselves and spread in such conditions, and
even make ground cover.

A climbing plant that also likes rain shadows (in the UK) is
Passiflora incarnata - mine is sprouting well this year! But it
isn't very compatible with a hedge that needs trimming in the summer.
What conifer is it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.