Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Glen Able

Crag wrote:
Evening all,

I've moved into a house that's got a nice, neat, well maintained conifer
hedge at the front of the garden (approx 6ft high). Now I gather that the
area underneath these trees is usually a no go area for other plants, but
is there anything I can plant under them that will grow up through and
provide such much needed colour and flowers?

Thanks,
Crag

I have a couple of patches of (pink) valerian that are growing in the
gaps at the base of my conifer hedge. Didn't care much for it at first,
but the flowers last ages and attract things such as hummingbird hawkmoths.

I also have a purple-flowered Linaria purpurea and lots of herb robert
which have self-seeded around and under the hedge. The former is nice
for a bit of height and for attacting small bees. The latter is good
because they're prolific and really easy to pull up for the compost,
which means I can spend 2 minutes doing weeding, fill a big bucket, and
then have a cup of tea while feeling incredibly productive