Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Elliott Plack, USAR" wrote:

Hello. Everything is outside. The pots are all on a screened in sun
porch though. The ones I planted outside in the ground were already
partially grown when I bought them. They went directly into the ground
with no container.

I'd assume they were nursery plants so they should have been outside
before. Young plant grown indoors under lights are not strong enough
to go directly outside. You have to harden them for a week or two. I
usually do my on a porch that only gets morning sun(low in the sky sun
is weaker). It is sheltered from the worst winds, but plants need to
be hardened for wind as well as sun.

Also, transplanting takes a toll. Usually you will see little or no
growth or response from them for a week or two, then they take off.
Always keep a transplant watered well--cause any root damage ro shock
redues their water uptake. So well watered ground nurses them through
that first rough week. I always look at those no-top-growth weeks as
root-growth weeks. The plant is building more roots so it has the
strenght and resources to grow.

You never described exactly what was "not OK" with the outside ones.
Also where are you...local climate matters.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph