Old 02-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Not at all. Modern wheelbarrows and tolleys are a pain in the back
for anyone tall, because they are so low.

I'm 6'4" and agree with all that. Trollies /have/ to get thier handles
extended upwards, and wheelbarrows are tipped up too much. On top of
that, wheelbarrow handles are now so short that I bank my shins on the
back of the body while I walk!

I've had a pressed steel builder's barrow, and changed it for a welded
one. I put blocks under the bearings to get the frame an inch higher,
so the nose did not keep banging into steps, and added extensions to
the rear legs. I welded on longer handles so I stand further back.

My advice:
1. Avoid pressed steel bodies.
2. Avoid self-assembly barrows where bolts pass through holes in the
tubular frame. They weaken the frame too badly.
3. Avoid anything with frame tube smaller than about 45mm dia.
4. Avoid solid tyred wheels.
5. Avoid pushed-on moulded handgrips. They come off as easily as they
go on.

6. Look for sealed roller bearings in the axle
7. Look for reinforced ends on the rear legs, not just bent tube.
8. Look for a reinforced rim on the body.